The Zoning Administration Division:

For questions regarding zoning, email the Department of Planning and Zoning or call 703-777-0246. 

ZOAM-2018-0005: Expression of Density in Non-Suburban and Residential Zoning Districts

More information about ZOAM-2018-0005

  1. What Can I Do With My Property?
  2. Property Search
  3. Resources

What you can do on your property depends on many factors, including allowed uses in the Zoning Ordinance. Other factors that may affect what you can do with and on your property include: 

  • The size of your property
  • Environmental features such as:
    • Floodplain
    • Mountainside overlay district 
    • Limestone overlay district
  • If you are in a historic district
  • Private access easements
  • Private conditions, covenants and restrictions 

Subdivision is allowable by right in many rural districts if you meet the requirements of the zoning district. Check with the Department of Building and Development for details.