Village of Waterford Traffic Calming Study
The village of Waterford is an unincorporated village in the Catoctin Valley of Loudoun County, Virginia, located along Catoctin Creek. Waterford is 47 miles northwest of Washington, D.C., and 7 miles northwest of Leesburg.
The purpose of this study is to review viability of traffic calming measures at the three entry points of the Village of Waterford in the Catoctin Election District and review the feasibility of a potential byway around the Village.
- In July 2015, the Waterford Citizens Association expressed concerns with the Catoctin District Supervisor about the steady growth of traffic volume and increase in traffic speed through the Village of Waterford and requested assistance from the County to address these concerns.
- At the December 2, 2015 Board of Supervisors (Board) Business Meeting, the Board directed the Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure (DTCI) to complete a cut-through traffic study in the village of Waterford. This study was completed in May 2018 and summarized in the document titled, Final Technical Report: Village of Waterford Cut-Through Traffic Study.
- On January 21, 2020 Board of Supervisors Business Meeting, the Board directed DTCI to review the viability of chicanes and chokers at the three entry points of the village of Waterford, including a bypass, and report back to the Board of Supervisors. At this meeting, the Board also authorized the installation of pole mounted speed display signs at the entry points of the Village.
- In May 2020, DTCI installed three pole mounted speed display sign at the entry points of the village of Waterford.
This study is funded with the Capital Projects Fund for Traffic Calming projects.
Public Information Meeting
Review the following presentation and video from the virtual public information meeting held for the Village of Waterford Traffic Calming and Byway Assessment project on April 15, 2021:
The following items were referenced during the public information meeting:
- Traffic Calming and Byway Assessment Study Area Diagram
- Potential Traffic Calming Measures
- Byway Assessment Area - Environmental Constraints and Historic Districts
- Village of Waterford Traffic Calming and Byway Assessment - December 2020 Draft Report
- December 2, 2015 Board of Supervisors Business Meeting - Village of Waterford Traffic Study
- Copy Teste - Village of Waterford Traffic Study
- January 21, 2020 Board of Supervisors Business Meeting - Proposed Traffic Calming Measures in the Village of Waterford
- Copy Teste – Proposed Traffic Calming Measures in the Village of Waterford
Written comments from the public regarding the Village of Waterford Traffic Calming and Byway Assessment study are requested and may be submitted using our online form, by email and mail. All comments shall be received by April 30, 2021.
Online Village of Waterford Traffic Calming and Byway Assessment study Comment Form: Use this form to submit your comments online.
- Email us your comments
- Mail your comments to:
Attn: Village of Waterford Traffic Calming and Byway Assessment Study – Miguel Pinto
Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure
101 Blue Seal Drive, Suite 102
Leesburg, VA 20177
To request paper copies of the materials, please email us with your full name and street address.
Notice of Electronic Meeting: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 Pandemic, this public meeting was conducted as an electronic meeting under the Continuity Ordinance readopted by the Board of Supervisors on October 14, 2020.