Linear Parks & Trails System
Loudoun County is developing an interconnected, countywide linear parks and trails system based on the July 2021 approved plan (PDF). The comprehensive system will provide a variety of functions and benefits, including recreation, alternative transportation, wildlife habitat, water quality protection, flood hazard reduction, aquifer recharge, erosion prevention, property value enhancement, economic development, and scenic beauty.
- In 2019, the Board Supervisors directed the Loudoun County Parks, Recreation and Open Space (PROS) Board to develop a detailed implementation plan for an interconnected, countywide linear parks and trails system.
- The PROS Board appointed representatives from key stakeholder groups to the LPAT Subcommittee to advance the initiative.
- PRCS contracted with Design Workshop in Raleigh, North Carolina, in November 2020 to develop an interconnected, countywide linear parks and trails system.
- Approval of the plan followed public input sessions, surveys, stakeholder meetings, and presentations to the Board’s Transportation and Land Use Committee.
- In 2023, Loudoun PRCS entered into a contract with a professional branding
agency to conduct surveys and workshops to discover the preferences of Loudoun residents and internal stakeholders for the naming and branding of the planned Countywide Linear Parks and Trails (LPAT) system.
- The naming and branding work of the planned Countywide Linear Parks and Trails (LPAT) system survey and community workshops concluded in October 2023. Two virtual workshops were held for Loudoun County residents. Over 470 surveys were submitted by Loudoun County residents.
Events, updates & Committee meeting minutes
- May 27, 2022, update announces the opening of a new segment of the Linear Parks & Trails System and a ribbon cutting scheduled for June 11, 2022. Working in partnership with the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Training Academy (NVCJTA) and Potomac Heritage Trail Association, Loudoun County has opened a new natural surface trail that adds an additional 2,200 ft. of trail along Broad Run.
- LPAT Committee Minutes
Stay Informed About This Project
- Approved Countywide Linear Parks and Trails System Plan (PDF)
- Approved Countywide Linear Parks and Trails System Plan (online version).
- Linear Parks and Trails subcommittee meeting agendas, recordings and summaries.
- Public Workshops
- LPAT Ribbon Cuttings Facebook Gallery
If you have questions about this project, email county staff.