- Sign up for news and updates related to Environment and Energy in Notify Me, News Flash Category
- View all news and updates related to Environment and Energy.
Informational Meeting on Water Quality Improvement Grants Feb. 6, 2024
The Loudoun County government and the Loudoun Soil and Water Conservation District are partnering in a program to provide funding to homeowners interested in implementing water quality improvement projects on their property or in their neighborhood. They will be hosting an informational meeting about applying for grants for the projects on Tuesday, February 6, 2024, at 6:00 p.m. at Rust Library, 380 Old Waterford Road NW in Leesburg. Learn more here.
Loudoun County Adds New Environment & Energy Resource to GeoHub
Loudoun County has expanded the Loudoun GeoHub to include a resource dedicated to Environment & Energy, providing the community with easy access to location-based data related to information about natural resources and energy in Loudoun County.
Nominations Sought for Environmental Excellence Awards
The Loudoun County Environmental Commission is calling for nominations for the second annual Environmental Excellence Awards, honoring individuals, businesses, nonprofit organizations and educators for their leadership on environmental issues. Nominations are due March 1, 2024. Find details here.
Increasing environmental sustainability and resilience for the health, safety and welfare of Loudoun residents and businesses is a strategic initiative of the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors. Current efforts include:
- Implementing the Environmental and Energy Work Plan approved by the Board of Supervisors at the Board's Environmental Summit July 27, 2022. Find details in this news release (PDF).
- Updating the county's Energy Strategy. On February 21, 2023, the Board of Supervisors adopted the 2023 Energy Strategy. View details.
- Amending Chapter 825 of the Codified Ordinances of Loudoun, which governs the Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy (C-PACE) Program, to expand eligible properties and projects to align with the full extent of Virginia’s Clean Energy Financing Law.
- Investigating the potential for executing Power Purchase Agreements as a tool for expanding use of renewable energy sources.
- Review of the county fleet and alternative energy sources, specifically electric, hybrid and natural gas options.
The county's Environmental Commission is building an environmental strategy for the Board of Supervisors to consider. The commission, which includes a wide range of representation from the community, industry and higher education, is currently focusing on five key topic areas:
- Energy sustainability, including clean and renewable energy usage;
- Enhancing natural resources, such as trees, wildlife, watersheds, and land conservation;
- Environmental justice, which examines the impact of environmental issues on underserved populations;
- “Government by example,” which includes programs to enhance the sustainability of Loudoun County government operations;
- Increasing public engagement in environmental and sustainability initiatives.