Courts Complex Expansion
- The Courts Complex Expansion project includes the design and construction of a new 92,000-square-foot Loudoun County District Courthouse and renovation of existing courts facilities, including new parking facilities.
- The new courthouse will be located on the current Church Street Parking Lot at the corner of Church Street and Edwards Ferry Road in downtown Leesburg.
- The existing courthouse (18 East Market Street) and historic Valley Bank building (20 East Market Street) will be renovated.
- Parking lots and pedestrian access to the courts buildings will be improved. A new parking garage has been constructed next to the existing Pennington Lot.
- The Loudoun County Courthouse Expansion project is expected to be complete and open to the public in 2023.
Current Status: September 2022
- Beginning September 8-15, 2022, from 7:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m., Loudoun County is scheduled to begin asphalt work around areas where utility work was recently completed as part of the Courts Complex Expansion project. Residents will see increased construction activity, evening and overnight traffic detours and road closures on Edwards Ferry Road from East Market Street to Harrison Street, East Market Street from Harrison Street to King Street and Church Street from East Market Street to Cornwall Street.
- Building construction:
- On the building’s exterior, crews have recently completed installing the roof. Work to install windows and exterior finishes, such as the aluminum curtainwall, is nearing completion.
- Inside the building, crews are hanging drywall on the first and second floors.
- Crews are preparing to supply temporary power to the new courthouse building, which is required for the next phase of construction.
- On the outside of the building:
- Church Street from Market to Cornwall remains closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic. In this area, crews completed drilling micro-piles and the Support of Excavation (SOE) work for the new tunnel connecting the existing courthouse to the new courthouse. Work to excavate the tunnel slab and wall structure is underway, and preparations to support the existing courthouse structure have begun.
- Dry utility work impacting traffic patterns is complete for now but will resume on Church Street once the tunnel has been constructed.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates on the Courts Complex Expansion.
- Sign up to receive updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
Courthouse Visitor Information
- Visitors to the Loudoun County Courthouse may park for free at the Pennington Garage and Pennington Lot, which are located approximately two blocks away off of Church Street NE in Leesburg. Shuttle service from the Pennington Garage and Pennington Lot to the courthouse will run approximately every ten minutes, Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. A walking path between the parking areas and the courthouse will be maintained throughout the duration of construction. View parking details and a map of the shuttle route and walking path in this flyer (PDF).
- March 2022 Construction Current View vs Future View (PDF)
- November 14, 2019: Construction Schedule and Impacts Presentation (PDF)
- November 14, 2019: Summary of Timeline and Impacts (PDF)
- July 16, 2019: Loudoun County Courthouse Expansion Phase III Public Information Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- April 23, 2019: Project Status Update (PDF)
- February 16, 2017: Pennington Parking Structure Presentation (PDF)
- February 16, 2017: Fact Sheet (PDF)
- FY 2014 Adopted CIP: Courts Complex Phase III Description (PDF)
- For questions about the Courthouse project, contact John Arriaga, DTCI Construction Manager by email or 571-258-3489, or Jeffrey Dean, McDonough Bolyard Peck, Inc. Project Manager by email or 202-826-5429.
- For questions about the Pennington Parking Garage, contact Nick Brown, DTCI Construction Program Manager by email or call 571-258-3435.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.