Advisory Boards, Commissions & Committees
Loudoun County government has many advisory boards, commissions, and committees which provide opportunities for direct involvement in local government by residents of Loudoun County. The Board of Supervisors appoints citizens to fill vacancies on most advisory boards, commissions, and committees.
While some groups are prescribed by the Code of Virginia, many have been created and authorized through action by the Board of Supervisors. Many boards, commissions and committees are ongoing in nature, while some are temporary ad hoc committees created to accomplish specified tasks.
A portion of the advisory boards are comprised of appointees from each electoral district, requiring applicants to live in the district for which the advisory position exists. Additionally, many advisory boards are comprised of at-large seats, which have no residency requirements and may also require appointees to have specific areas of expertise and/or representation.
The Board of Supervisors recognizes and celebrates the diversity of Loudoun County and encourages all individuals to apply to serve on Board-appointed committees and commissions.
Applying for a board, commission or committee
- Online Application Form Opens a New Window.
- Current Vacancies on Advisory Boards, Commissions and Committees
Opens a New Window.
- Board of Supervisors Policies for Advisory Boards, Commissions and Committees Opens a New Window.
- Appointment procedures
- Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, Loudoun County advisory bodies are conducting "electronic meetings" under Virginia Code Section 2.2- 3708.2(A)(3) during the local emergency declared in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and ratified by the Board of Supervisors on March 17, 2020. Information about how to view or participate in those meetings can be found at loudoun.gov/remoteparticipation.
- Scheduled meeting dates are posted on the Loudoun County Calendar.
Inclement Weather Policy
- On days when Loudoun County Public Schools Opens a New Window. (LCPS) are closed due to inclement weather, meetings of the Board of Supervisors’ advisory boards, committees and commissions are canceled, some exceptions apply. When Loudoun County Public Schools close early due to inclement weather, meetings that occur after the closure time are also canceled. Delayed LCPS openings do not impact advisory board meeting schedules. Policy with noted exceptions (PDF) Opens a New Window. .
- On days when Loudoun County Government is closed, all meetings are canceled with the exception of the Board of Supervisors, which may or may not be canceled at the discretion of the Board Chair or Standing Committee Chair.
Current Advisory Boards, Commissions & Committees
Appointed by the Board of Supervisors
- Advisory Commission on Youth
- Advisory Plans Examiners Board
- Affordable Dwelling Unit Advisory Board
- Agricultural District Advisory Committee
- Animal Advisory Committee
- Art Advisory Committee
- Board of Building Code Appeals
- Board of Equalization
- Commission on Aging
- Communications Commission
- Community Criminal Justice Board Opens a New Window.
- Community Policy and Management Team
- Community Services Board
- Disability Services Board
- Dulles Town Center Community Development
- Economic Development Advisory Commission
- Economic Development Authority
- Environmental Commission
- Facilities Standards Manual Public Review Committee
- Family Services Advisory Board
- Fiscal Impact Committee @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Health Systems Agency of Northern Virginia
- Heritage Commission
- Historic District Review Committee
- Housing Advisory Board
- Housing Choice Voucher Resident Advisory Board
- Leesburg Executive Airport Commission Opens a New Window.
- Library Board of Trustees Opens a New Window.
- Loudoun Health Commission Opens a New Window.
- Loudoun Water Opens a New Window.
- Lyme Disease Commission Opens a New Window.
- NOVA College Board
- NOVA Parks Board
- Other Post-Employment Benefits Investment Committee
- Parks, Recreation and Open Space Board Opens a New Window.
- Planning Commission Opens a New Window.
- Police-Directed Towing Advisory Board Opens a New Window.
- Renaming Route 7 & Route 50 Task Force
- Route 28 Landowners Advisory Board Opens a New Window.
- Rural Economic Development Council Opens a New Window.
- Transit Advisory Board Opens a New Window.
- Zoning Ordinance Committee Opens a New Window. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>