Do I need to file a personal property return for my vehicle, trailer, or boat every year?

To avoid a 10% late filing penalty, newly acquired vehicles or those recently entering Loudoun County must be reported to the Commissioner of Revenue within 60 days of purchase or move to Loudoun County or one of its incorporated towns (Hamilton, Hillsboro, Leesburg, Lovettsville, Middleburg, Purcellville, or Round Hill).
 If you do not file, a 10% late filing penalty will be added to your annual tax each year until a filing occurs.

After a vehicle's initial registration, the Commissioner's Office annually mails vehicle personal property filing notices, allowing residents to report corrections, address changes, the sale or disposal of vehicles, or unusually high mileage since these factors may affect the property's valuation or the number of months a vehicle is taxed in the county. Vehicle personal property tax information may be filed online at The Commissioner requests that all changes be submitted by February 1 to assist in establishing accurate assessments for each tax year.

You are not required to file online if you have previously filed on your vehicle and there are no ownership, address or other changes. Please note that taxes are billed to the name in which the vehicle or trailer is registered with DMV.

Show All Answers

1. How does a new resident (or business owner) located in Loudoun County or in one of Loudoun's towns obtain a personal property return?
2. If I register in person, what information must I bring?
3. Does titling and registering my vehicle with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) automatically register the vehicle with Loudoun County?
4. Do I need to register my vehicles in Loudoun County even if they are already registered in the state of Virginia?
5. If I submit a change of address to the DMV, the U.S. Postal Service, or an incorporated town, do I still need to notify Loudoun County of an address change?
6. What do I need to do if I move my property into or out of one of Loudoun’s incorporated towns or change my mailing address?
7. How can I find out whether an address is within an incorporated town?
8. My car is registered out-of-state. Do I still need to register my car with Loudoun County?
9. Do I need to file a personal property return for my vehicle, trailer, or boat every year?
10. Do I need to file a personal property return for my airplane or mobile home every year?
11. Is there a late filing penalty for failure to file a return by the prescribed deadline?
12. How do I substantiate that my motor vehicle with specially designed equipment for use by the handicapped qualifies for a lower tax rate?
13. Can I register my vehicle online?
14. How do I report the move, sale or disposal of vehicles or report mailing address changes for an existing account?
15. To what address should I send a tax filing if I want to use overnight mailing services?