The Loudoun County Planning Commission is scheduled to hold a second public hearing to consider portions of the draft Zoning Ordinance on Tuesday, January 24, 2023, at 6:00 p.m. Members of the public are invited to provide their comments to the Planning Commission at the hearing.
The Planning Commission heard public comment on several chapters of the draft ordinance at a public hearing in August 2022. The Planning Commission has continued its review of the draft ordinance through a subsequent series of work sessions throughout the fall and winter.
Review the Proposed Zoning Ordinance Text
The proposed text updates are available for public review and comment in advance of the January 24, 2023, public hearing. The portions of the draft Zoning Ordinance the Planning Commission will consider on January 24 include:
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Chapter 2: Zoning Districts
- Chapter 3: Uses
- Chapter 4: Use-Specific Standards
- Chapter 5: Overlay Districts
- Chapter 6: Natural and Environmental Resources
- Chapter 7: Development Standards
- Chapter 11: Procedures
- Section 11.10.06, Urban Policy Area Zoning Districts – Additional Requirements
- Section 11.10.07, Planned Development–Mixed Use Business Zoning District – Additional Requirements
- Section 11.10.09, Planned Unit Development – Additional Requirements
At the public hearing, the commission will also consider incorporating four independent Zoning Ordinance Amendments (ZOAMs) into the draft Zoning Ordinance, upon future Board of Supervisors’ adoption of each ZOAM:
- Airport Impact Overlay District
- Adding “Ground-Mounted Solar Energy Generation Facility” as a Permitted Use in the Planned Development-General Industry Zoning District
- Prime Agricultural Soil and Cluster Subdivisions
- Short Term Residential Rentals
Public input and feedback has been provided on the draft ordinance through various channels, and continues to be received and considered as the rewrite process continues.
To review the current proposed text in advance of the January 24 Planning Commission public hearing, visit loudoun.gov/ZoningOrdinanceRewrite.
Provide Input on the Draft Ordinance
The Planning Commission public hearing is scheduled for January 24, 2023, at 6:00 p.m. in the Board Room of the Government Center, 1 Harrison St. SE, Leesburg.
- Sign Up to Speak: To provide input and comment on the current draft text, members of the public can sign up to speak at the public hearing. Information about how to sign up to speak at the Planning Commission’s public hearing is posted on the county’s website here.
- Submit Comments Online/By Phone: Members of the public may provide input on the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite to the Planning Commission at any time by submitting an online form. Residents without access to the internet may provide comments on the draft ordinance by phone at 703-777-0246.
Following the January 24 public hearing, the Planning Commission will continue its process for reviewing and updating the proposed Zoning Ordinance text. Following completion of the Planning Commission’s review, the recommended text will be forwarded to the Board of Supervisors for review. The Board of Supervisors is expected to vote to adopt the final ordinance text in the coming months.
The Zoning Ordinance is the primary implementation tool for the Loudoun County 2019 Comprehensive Plan. The ordinance contains an added level of specificity that is based on the community’s vision as expressed in the goals, policies and actions of the Comprehensive Plan.
To sign up for email and text alerts regarding the Zoning Ordinance Rewrite project and to learn more about the process, visit loudoun.gov/ZoningOrdinanceRewrite.
The Planning Commission’s meeting agendas are posted online at least three days in advance of each meeting at loudoun.gov/PlanningCommission.
# # #