- Update: 07-14-22: The nomination deadline has been extended to August 12, 2022.
The Loudoun County Design Cabinet is seeking nominations from architects, builders and the design community for the 2022 Signatures of Loudoun Awards program.
The Signatures of Loudoun program recognizes buildings and public spaces that reflect outstanding design, renovation, adaptive reuse and visually groundbreaking projects throughout the county.
Nominations are encouraged for all types of projects: private and public, large and small. The Design Cabinet considers nominations for awards in eight categories:
- Details: excellence or whimsy demonstrated in the form of minutiae or finishing touches, which visually delight or offer a sense of continuity with Loudoun’s history.
- Familiar: the exceptional attention given to surrounding buildings, places and details during the project design. A highly “contextual” design solution in which the new design looks as if it had always been a visually harmonious part of the neighborhood.
- Infrastructure: including facilities, utilities, roadways, bridges, streetscape, parkways and trails.
- Interiors: an interior space in residential, commercial, retail or public sector structures.
- Legends: projects or places that have stood the “test of time” over 25 years or more – icons that make Loudoun County unique.
- Makeovers: historic renovation and/or adaptive reuse projects that mirror Loudoun’s reputation as a place of rich contrasts and preserve a piece of its unique history.
- Pace Setters: recent, visually groundbreaking projects. Pace Setters may well be the Legends of a quarter century from now.
- Public Spaces: public greens, plazas, and squares that have become a favorite gathering place.
Entries will be judged by members of the county’s Design Cabinet, a volunteer organization of engineers, architects, planners and designers who encourage high-quality ecological, urban, architectural and landscape design in Loudoun County.
For more information, and to nominate a favorite Loudoun building, project or place, visit loudoun.gov/SignaturesofLoudoun and submit an online nomination form. The nomination period is open through August 12, 2022 (note new date). This year’s awardees will be honored in October 2022.
# # #