Is there a Loudoun building, public space, neighborhood or architectural detail you admire? The Loudoun County Design Cabinet is seeking nominations for the 2020 Signatures of Loudoun Awards program. All varieties of nominations are encouraged: private and public, large and small. Nominations are considered by the Design Cabinet and a student panel for awards in eight categories:
- Details: excellence or whimsy demonstrated in the form of minutiae or finishing touches, which visually delight or offer a sense of continuity with Loudoun’s history.
- Familiar: the exceptional attention given to surrounding buildings, places and details during the project design. A highly “contextual” design solution in which the new design looks as if it had always been a visually harmonious part of the neighborhood.
- Infrastructure: including facilities, utilities, roadways, bridges, streetscape, parkways and trails.
- Interiors: an interior space in residential, commercial, retail or public sector structures.
- Legends: projects or places that have stood the “test of time” over 25 years or more – icons that make Loudoun County unique.
- Makeovers: historic renovation and/or adaptive reuse projects that mirror Loudoun’s reputation as a place of rich contrasts and preserve a piece of its unique history.
- Public Spaces: public greens, plazas and squares that have become a favorite gathering place.
- Pace Setters: recent, visually groundbreaking projects. Pace Setters may well be the Legends of a quarter century from now.
- Students’ Choice: One of the winning projects will be chosen by a panel of Loudoun high school students and graduates.
In addition to nominations, the Design Cabinet is recruiting 14 high school juniors and seniors to participate on the student panel of the program. Selected students will review and discuss all award nominations with the Design Cabinet and choose the Students’ Choice Award. To apply for the student panel, or nominate a student, visit loudoun.gov/StudentSignaturesofLoudoun.
For more information, and to nominate a favorite Loudoun building, project, or place, visit loudoun.gov/SignaturesofLoudoun. The nomination period is open through March 18, 2020.
# # #