At its business meeting on July 5, 2022, the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors approved the Comprehensive Plan Amendment (CPAM) related to safety and operational improvements to U.S. Route 15 north of Leesburg.
With this approval, the Loudoun County 2019 Countywide Transportation Plan will be amended by changing the planned ultimate condition of U.S. Route 15 between Montresor Road and the Maryland state line.
The proposed improvements of this CPAM include:
- Widening of U.S. Route 15 to four lanes between Montresor Road and the Village of Lucketts.
- The installation of a median divide on U.S. Route 15 from Stumptown Road north to Saint Clair Lane.
- Construction of a bypass around the Village of Lucketts to the west of existing U.S. Route 15. Final location and alignment of the bypass will be determined during the roadway design process.
Additionally, the Board of Supervisors directed county staff to identify safety and operational improvements to the U.S. Route 15 corridor that could be made in advance of the ultimate improvements authorized by the CPAM to improve corridor safety and reliability as soon as possible. A prioritized list of potential improvements to include the estimated costs and time frames to complete each improvement is scheduled to be presented to the Board for consideration no later than its October 18, 2022, meeting.
At the Board’s May 11 public hearing, members of the public provided their input on the proposed congestion relief and safety improvements for U.S. Route 15, as well as their perspectives on possible locations of the proposed Lucketts bypass.
Consideration of this CPAM comes after years of county studies to identify the cause of recurring congestion in the area and to improve safety within the U.S. Route 15 corridor between Whites Ferry Road and the Maryland state line. These studies resulted in a plan which was endorsed by the Board of Supervisors in July 2019. The Board initiated the CPAM in March 2021 to enable the planned improvements.
Several recommended safety improvements, which did not require amendment of the county’s Comprehensive Plan, are already in process, including:
- Expanding U.S. Route 15 to four lanes from King Street to Montresor Road.
- The design of a roundabout at Spinks Ferry Road.
- Pedestrian improvements within the Village of Lucketts.
- Safety improvements at the Lovettsville Road intersection with U.S. Route 15.
For more information about the U.S. Route 15 North safety and operations studies, visit the project webpage.
# # #