- Departments & Offices
- County Administrator
- Virginia Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
- Submit a Request for Public Records
Submit a Request for Public Records
Specifying Records Requested
- When submitting a request for public records, your request must identify the records you are seeking with "reasonable specificity." This is a common-sense standard. It does not refer to or limit the volume or number of records that you are requesting; instead, it requires that you be specific enough so that we can identify and locate the records that you are seeking.
- Your request must ask for existing records or documents. FOIA gives you a right to inspect or copy records; it does not apply to general questions about the work of Loudoun County, and FOIA does not require Loudoun County to create a record that does not already exist.
- You may choose the format in which you would like to receive the records from any format that is used by Loudoun County in the regular course of business. For example, if you are requesting records that are maintained in an Excel database, you may elect to receive those records electronically via email, thumb drive or computer disk; you may also receive a printed copy of the records.
- You may have to pay for the records that you request from Loudoun County. FOIA allows us to charge for the actual costs of responding to FOIA requests. You may request a cost estimate in advance. Read more about costs for records requests.
Submit Your Request for Records
- You may request records through the county's online FOIA public records request system, by U.S. Mail, fax, email, phone or in person. Instructions for submitting a records request are below.
- FOIA does not require that your request be in writing, nor do you need to specifically state that you are requesting records under FOIA.
- Regardless of how you choose to submit your request, it is helpful to you and the person receiving your request to put your request in writing. This allows you to create a record of your request. It also gives us a clear statement of the records you are requesting, so that there is no misunderstanding over a verbal request. However, we cannot refuse to respond to your FOIA request if you elect not to put it in writing.
The fastest and easiest method to request records from Loudoun County is to submit your request online through our FOIA management system. The system allows for open requests to be tracked and past requests to be viewed. Signing up for an account is quick and easy.
To request records by email, please send an email Opens a New Window. to us with your contact information and specific request for records.
To request records by U.S. mail, please send your specific written request to:
Office of the County Administrator/FOIA Officer
1 Harrison St., S.E.
P.O. Box 7000
Leesburg, VA 20175-7000
In Person, By Phone or By Fax
If you know the county department that keeps the records you are requesting, you may contact the department directly in person, by phone or by fax. Visit the County Departments webpage for locations and contact information.
If you are not sure which department to contact, if the records are kept by multiple departments, or if you have questions concerning requesting records from Loudoun County, contact Loudoun County’s FOIA Officer.