Take Care of Your Family & Yourself First
- Arrange for temporary shelter, food, and clothing. Volunteer organizations such as the American Red Cross, the Salvation Army and church groups can offer a variety of assistance.
- Get enough rest and eat properly. You are more likely to make the right decisions.
- Focus on what needs to be done to recover from the disaster.
- Keep your family together.
- Make a list of jobs and tackle them one at a time.
- Set a manageable schedule to clean up and rebuild.
- Talk to others dealing with problems similar to yours. Their ideas may help you.
Next Step to Recovery
Step Two: Assess the Damage