Winter Weather Information
- Be Safe: Winter Driving Tips
- Cold Weather Shelter Information
- Preventing Frozen Pipes: Advice from Loudoun Water Opens a New Window.
- Winter Weather Preparedness; Virginia Department of Health
The Loudoun County Office of Emergency Management encourages everyone to prepare for cold weather emergencies. There are simple, low-cost steps individuals and families can take to be ready:
- Prepare an Emergency Supply Kit
- ReadyNOVA - Online Planning Tools
- Winter Weather: Prepare and Make a Plan - Virginia Department of Emergency Management
- Emergency Preparedness for Pets
If you have not already done so, sign up for alerts from the county, including emergency information, news releases, traffic information, and more through Alert Loudoun; follow Loudoun County on Twitter; and on Facebook.
Be Familiar with the Terminology
When winter weather threatens your area, it's essential that you listen to your local radio and television stations for updated information. Make sure you are familiar with the various winter related terminology.
Winter Weather Advisory
Winter weather conditions are expected to cause difficulty and might be dangerous. With caution, these conditions should not become life threatening.
Winter Storm Watch
Issued by the National Weather Service (NWS) when there is the potential for significant and hazardous winter weather within 48 hours. It does not mean that significant and hazardous weather will occur. It only means it is possible.
Winter Storm Warning
Issued by the National Weather Service when a significant combination of hazardous winter weather is occurring or imminent.
Neighbors Helping Neighbors
Interested in helping your neighbors during a winter weather event? Register with the Loudoun Cares Volunteer Center.