Red Hill Community Comprehensive Plan Amendment
Board Approves Red Hill Community Comprehensive Plan Amendment
At its February 7, 2023, business meeting, the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors voted to approve the Red Hill Community Comprehensive Plan Amendment (CPAM). In the coming weeks, the county will update the 2019 Loudoun County Comprehensive Plan, which includes the General Plan and the Countywide Transportation Plan, to implement the approved text and map amendments.
- View the staff report prepared for the February 7, 2023, Board of Supervisors meeting.
- View the discussion of the Red Hill Community CPAM at the Board's February 7. 2023, meeting.
Past Board of Supervisors and Planning Commission Actions
At its January 11, 2023, public hearing, the Board of Supervisors voted to forward the proposed Red Hill Community Comprehensive Plan Amendment (CPAM) to its February 7, 2023, meeting.
- View the staff report prepared for the January 11, 2023, Board of Supervisors public hearing.
- View the discussion of the Red Hill Community CPAM at the Board's January 11 public hearing.
Following its October 25, 2022, public hearing, the Loudoun County Planning Commission forwarded the CPAM to the Board of Supervisors with a recommendation of approval. The commission is also recommending that the Board of Supervisors develop a scope of work and time frame for the evaluation of the Phase 2 area of the Transition Policy Area to consider areas within the Upper Broad Run and Red Hill subareas appropriate for higher-density residential development.
- Read the staff report prepared for the public hearing (PDF)
- Read the public comments gathered on the CPAM (PDF)
The proposed Comprehensive Plan amendment affecting the Red Hill community proposes changes to the policy and planned land use designations of the community that would:
- Move the area from the Rural Policy Area (RPA) to the Transition Policy Area (TPA)
- Designate the Red Hill community as a new TPA subarea
- Change the community’s designation from the “Rural North” place type to the “Transition Large Lot Neighborhood” place type, which includes a planned residential density of one dwelling unit per three acres as defined by the county’s 2019 Comprehensive Plan.
Moving this area to the Transition Policy Area will not change the base residential density of lots but will allow the extension of central water and wastewater service to individual lots within the Red Hill community should utilities be extended to the area in the future. All the properties surrounding the Red Hill community, including Greene Mill Preserve, are currently served by central utilities.
The CPAM, if approved, would update the land use policies and maps of the 2019 Loudoun County Comprehensive Plan to address these changes.
The Loudoun County Department of Planning and Zoning has held public meetings to update members of the community on the CPAM; a virtual meeting in July and an in-person meeting in September of 2022.
About the Red Hill Community
The Red Hill community is bounded on the northwest by Greene Mill Preserve, on the east by Evergreen Mill Road (Route 621), and on the south by the watershed boundary of Goose Creek, which serves as the present boundary between the county’s Rural Policy Area and its Transition Policy Area. The community is a rural area that comprises approximately 41 parcels totaling approximately 424 acres; it includes larger parcels in forested open space and agricultural uses as well as smaller residential lots concentrated along Red Hill Road. Approximately 40 percent (172.9 acres) of the total acreage of the community is owned by the Loudoun County School Board and is planned for future school or public uses.
- View the staff report prepared for the Planning Commission briefing on the Red Hill CPAM July 14, 2022 (PDF).
For More Information
For more information about the CPAM, email the Department of Planning and Zoning or call 703-777-0246.