Sheds and Agricultural Structures 

Sheds are considered accessory structures to residential dwellings. Garages are not considered sheds.

Agricultural structures are for agricultural uses, such as barns and run-in sheds.

  1. Permits
  2. Additional Considerations
  3. Fees
  4. Inspections

Required Permits

  • A building permit and zoning permit (PDF), signed by the property owner. Complete the entire form including:
    • Square feet of area being disturbed
    • Structure size 
      • For sheds only: the size of your structure determines what type of permit you need
        • Less than 256 square feet, mark the application as Zoning Permit only.
        • Greater than 256 square feet, mark both Building and Zoning permit on the application.
    • If your property is located in an incorporated town within Loudoun County, submit an approved zoning permit from the town with your application.

Additional Documentation

In addition to the permit application, you are required to submit the following:

For agricultural or farm structures only:

For all sheds and agricultural structures:

Submit an application


Call Building and Development at 703-777-0220, option 1.