Selma Estates Flood Mitigation Project
- Between 2013 and 2018, significant flooding events were experienced by residents along Farnborough Place, Osterly Lane, Trongate Court, Berkhamstead Place, and Saxon Shore Drive, resulting in damage to residential structures.
- A 2019 study found that a buyout program is the most viable flood mitigation option because it removes all risk of structural flooding during a 100-year storm event.
Project Status: September 2020
- The county is moving forward with preparing an application for the Federal Emergency Management Agency’s (FEMA) Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA) Grant program to fund mitigation initiatives, including buyouts of eligible properties.
- As part of that process, the following forms must be completed by affected homeowners:
- Hazardous Materials Individual Property Survey
- Property Information Worksheet
- Voluntary Participation Agreement
- For the Voluntary-Participation-Agreement, please use the date: December 31, 2021. If the County is successful in our grant application, a required step in the process will be to officially reaffirm your voluntary participation, which will then replace this document. For the purposes of the grant application, this agreement exhibits homeowners' willingness to participate, which can be a key consideration during the grant approval process.
Forms can be returned in one of the following ways:
- Sign and scan the completed forms and email them to Ryan Reed.
- Send printed, completed and signed forms via US Mail to:
Loudoun County Department of Building and Development
1 Harrison Street, SE, Leesburg, VA 20177
- Schedule a time to have the forms picked up in person by calling 571-252-0675 or emailing Ryan Reed.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates on the Selma Estates Flood Mitigation Project
- Sign up to receive updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category
If you have questions about the flood mitigation project, email Ryan Reed at the Department of Building and Development or call 703-737-8426.
- May 5, 2020 Board of Supervisors Meeting Item (PDF)
- February 10, 2020 Community Meeting Presentation (PDF)
- December 3, 2019 Staff Presentation: Floodplain Analysis and Mitigation Alternatives (PDF)
- December 3, 2019 Board of Supervisors Meeting Item (PDF)
- Watershed Analysis by Wood PLC (PDF)
- View the most recent FEMA floodplain map for this area (PDF).
- Learn more about FEMA’s acquisition/buyout mitigation activity.(PDF)