Lender Information for SPARC Housing Program
Loudoun County has recently been awarded $8 million by the Virginia Housing Development Authority (VHDA) to help first-time homebuyers. This allocation, through the Sponsoring Partnerships and Revitalizing Communities (SPARC) program, will provide lower interest rates on homeownership loans in the county.
To qualify for the Sponsoring Partnerships and Revitalizing Communities (SPARC) Program, the prospective homebuyer must meet the following criteria:
- Have an annual household income between 70%-100% of the Area Median Income (AMI) for household size of four. Currently, incomes must fall between $88,200 and $126,000.
- Be a first-time homebuyer, which is defined as someone having had no ownership interest in real property in the past three years.
- Currently live and/or work in Loudoun County for a minimum of six months.
- Purchase a new or existing home for $525,000 or less, located in Loudoun County.
- Receive a mortgage loan from a Virginia Housing Development Authority (VHDA)-approved lender participating in the VHDA mortgage loan program.
Explanation of Eligibility Criteria
- Income Limit: Loudoun County currently offers first-time homeownership programs serving 30%-70% Area Median Income (ASMI). Applicants who meet that criteria are ineligible for the SPARC Program. Loudoun County households at 100% AMI ($126,000) can afford a home priced up to $378,000 without being cost-burdened; however, the county’s median home sales price was $493,750 as of February 2020, according to the Bright MLS company. This program will help to close the affordability gap for households between 70%-100% AMI. The program will help more residents to achieve homeownership in Loudoun County.
- Residency qualification: The SPARC Program requires the same Loudoun County residency requirements as current county homeownership programs. All Loudoun County programs are meant to serve applicant who already live or work in the county. Most other jurisdictions with similar programs have similar requirements.
How to Apply
Submit required documents to Loudoun County’s Office of Housing. Required documents are:
- VHDA First-time Homebuyer Class Certificate
- VHDA SPARC Lock Rate Form
- Ratified Contract
- Form 1003 - Uniform Residential Loan Application