Route 9 / Route 287 Roundabout
- The project consists of approximately one mile of roadway improvements, including a two-lane roundabout at the intersection of Route 9 and Route 287.
- Improvements will also include new drainage and stormwater facilities as well as relocation of some utilities.
- When complete, the project will significantly reduce existing traffic congestion, improve safety and provide a long-term, cost-effective solution for future maintenance.
- The Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation, Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, and the US Fish and Wildlife Service determined that the project should have no impact on threatened or endangered species.
Current Update: April 2021
- In January, 100% design plans and a floodplain alteration study were submitted to Loudoun County Building & Development (B&D) and the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) for review and approval.
- Loudoun County is currently working on securing nutrient credits for the project, required to satisfy state and local stormwater runoff requirements. Each credit represents a specific amount of absorption of nutrients within a sub-watershed. Virginia’s nutrient trading program is administered by the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ).
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all project updates on Route 9/287 Roundabout.
- Sign up for updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
Anticipated Project Timeline
- Land Acquisition: Fall 2021
- Utility Relocation: Summer 2022
- Construction Begins: Fall 2023
- Estimated Construction Duration: 24 months
Traffic Model Videos
View animated traffic model videos of roundabout movements during morning and evening peak travel hours:
- Morning Peak Traffic - Real Time View Video
- Morning Peak Traffic - Accelerated Time View Video
- Afternoon Peak Traffic - Real Time View Video
- Afternoon Peak Traffic - Accelerated Time View Video
- 6-25-19 Public Information Meeting Brochure (PDF)
- 6-25-19 Public Information Meeting Exhibit (PDF)
- 6-25-19 Public Information Meeting - Typical Sections (PDF)
- 6-25-19 Public Information Meeting Comment Sheet (PDF)