Northstar Boulevard: Shreveport Drive to Route 50
- This project will construct a new 1.7-mile segment of Northstar Boulevard from Shreveport Drive to U.S. Route 50, and is part of what will be a 14-mile uninterrupted north-south corridor extending from Route 7 south to the Prince William County line.
- The segment will be designed as a minor arterial roadway and will have controlled access.
- The roadway will comprise a four-lane median divided roadway located within a proposed six-lane right-of-way, with the option to widen to the inside.
- The project includes a 10-foot wide shared-use path on both sides of the roadway, a traffic signal at Route 50, and a new bridge over Broad Run.
- The proposed project would also include improvements to Youngwood Lane from its existing intersection with Racefield Lane to its anticipated connection with Northstar Boulevard, as well as reconstruction and widening of Racefield Lane from its intersection with Youngwood Lane to the VDOT Arcola Area Headquarters.
- The project is being funded in part by a $25 million Fiscal Year 2017 Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) discretionary grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation.
Current Status: July 2019
- The project is currently in the preliminary design phase.
- A public information meeting for this project was held on Monday, July 8, 2019 at John Champe High School in Aldie, VA.
- County representatives and design staff discussed the project’s design and location, answered questions and received comments on the proposed project.
- Written comments may be submitted by August 7, 2019 to Greg Barnes at the address on Blue Seal Drive listed above, or email to the department. Please reference “Northstar Boulevard Extension Project” in the subject line.
- The anticipated release for the Request for Qualifications is Fall 2019.
- The anticipated release of the Request for Proposals is Spring 2020.
- The anticipated date for the roadway being open to traffic is Spring 2024.
- 7-8-19 Northstar Blvd. Extension Public Hearing Brochure
- 7-8-19 Northstar Blvd. Extension Public Hearing Brochure - SPANISH
- 7-8-19 Northstar Blvd. Extension Public Hearing Comment Sheet
- 7-8-19 Northstar Blvd. Extension Public Hearing Comment Sheet - SPANISH
- Draft Environmental Assessment May 2019 (PDF)
- Contact the Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure at (703) 777-0396 or email the department.
- Sign up for updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Information Officer or call 703-771-5086.