Take the Survey!
Information gathered from the Youth Net survey will help us improve the quality of life for youth with diverse needs in Loudoun County.
The survey will be active through June 30, 2019.
What is Youth Net?
Loudoun County is part of the Youth Net Committee, which is developing strategies for improving and expanding youth services in the county and optimizing the use of community resources to serve as many teens as possible.
The committee includes more than 20 individuals, representing government, nonprofits, faith-based organizations, philanthropy and business. The goal is to create a more formalized and structured public-private approach to youth services in Loudoun. This coordinated, community-based effort is designed to help Loudoun's young people become more engaged, resourceful and resilient.
Youth Summit 2019
The Youth Net Committee is planning to hold a Youth Summit in 2019, followed by a presentation of findings, concerns and recommendations to the Board of Supervisors in the fall of 2019.
Stay tuned for details!
Board of Supervisors Strategic Initiative
The Youth Net effort supports one of the Board of Supervisors' Strategic Initiatives, which is to promote youth health, well-being and resilience.
Recent activities in support of this goal include:
- A youth-led public service announcement contest to promote health and wellness and raise awareness of youth suicide prevention was sponsored by the Department of Mental Health, Substance Abuse and Developmental Services.
- The Board of Supervisors has provided additional staff in the Department of Mental Health, Substance Abuse and Developmental Services (MHSADS) to provide community Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) training to more people, more often.
- MHSADS is providing MHFA training for staff members in the Department of Parks, Recreation and Community Services who interact with Loudoun youth.
- An inaugural mobile teen event, “Back-to-School Blowout,” an outdoor festival and concert for middle schoolers, was held on October 13, 2018, at Woodgrove Park and Round Hill Indoor Aquatic Center. The event promoted health and well-being to students in grades six through eight, including home-schooled students.
Building on Past Efforts
Youth Net builds on the work of the Loudoun Youth Initiative (2004-2006), which resulted in major improvements to youth services in the county, including:
- The formation of the Youth Advisory Council
- Expanded after-school programs
- The creation of the nonprofit organization Loudoun Youth, Inc.
- The development of several teen centers and after-hours programs.
- Advisory Commission on Youth
- Family Connections
- Loudoun County Public Library-Teens
- Loudoun County Youth Advisory Council
- Mental Health First Aid
- Suicide Prevention
- Teen/Youth Events & Development Opportunities
For More Information
The Youth Net initiative is coordinated by the Office of the County Administrator. For more information about Youth Net, email Public Affairs and Communications.