Residential or commercial solar photovoltaic (PV) systems
To apply for a solar permit:
- Complete and sign the Building/Zoning Permit Application Opens a New Window.
- Gather three sets of plans for review that include:
- Construction Drawings: Three sets of wet-sealed plans showing PV array configuration, wiring system, overcurrent protection, inverter, disconnects, required signs, alternating current (AC) connection to building, and attachment detail for roof mounted or footing details for ground mounted.
- Spec Sheets & Installation Manuals: Include specification sheets and installation manuals for all manufactured components including, but not limited to PV modules, inverters, combiner box, disconnects, and mounting system.
3. Complete and sign Electrical Permit Application Opens a New Window. .
- Note the number of photovoltaic systems
- Note the number of photovoltaic kilowatts
4. Plat for Zoning Permit Review: Submit a plat (house location) that depicts the ground mounted arrays in relationship to the property boundaries.
5. Submit packet containing the above items to the Loudoun County Department of Building and Development at the Loudoun County Government Center, 1 Harrison Street, S.E. in Leesburg.
- Building Permit: $230 (building permit and plan review).
- Zoning Permit: $165 (required for ground mounted only).
- Electrical Permit: $70
- Building Permit: The fee is 1% of construction costs and plan review and varies from project to project + $130 plan review fee.
- Zoning Permit: $210
- Electrical: $165 (includes plan review).
Who May Apply for Permits
- Contractors may pull a permit subject to holding a valid Virginia State Contractors License Opens a New Window. for the type of work to be completed.
- Homeowners may pull permits with a Statement of Owner/Lessee License Exemption Opens a New Window. in lieu of a licensed contractor for permits that require a licensed contractor to be listed per the Code of Virginia,Title 54, Chapter 11 Opens a New Window. .
How to Get Your System Inspected
Loudoun County conducts inspections between 8:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Homeowners may call 703-777-0220, Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. to schedule an inspection for the next day.
- You may also schedule inspections online until 11:59 p.m. at www.loudoun.gov/wairs for next-day inspections.
- Contractors may schedule inspections online until 11:59 p.m. at www.loudoun.gov/wairs for next day inspections.
Contacting Your Electrical Utility
- Dominion Energy Renewable Energy Programs Opens a New Window.
- Northern Virginia Electric Cooperative Solar Power and Net Metering Opens a New Window.
For more information
Contact the Permitting Division of the Department of Building and Development at 703-777-0220 or by email Opens a New Window. .