Loudoun County Code (Chapter 830) requires that a dealer purchasing scrap metal from the public must obtain a scrap metal dealer permit from the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office.
A scrap metal dealer is any entity engaged in purchasing scrap metals to include metal, metal dross, steel, iron, old lead pipe, ferrous and non-ferrous metals, and copper. Dealers are excluded from this definition insofar as they make purchases of articles subject to this article directly from other dealers, manufacturers or wholesale or retail inventories.
The following are required by the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office to apply for a Scrap Metal Dealer permit:
- Application form, Release of Personal Information form, and Reporting Agreement form; all need to be signed and notarized.
- Valid, unexpired government issued picture identification.
- Applicants who were born outside of the United States must provide valid, unexpired proof of employment authorization such as a Permanent Resident Card, Employment Authorization Card, or proof of U.S. citizenship.
- Submit a fingerprint card (fingerprints may obtained at the Records Section at the Sheriff’s Office at the time of application).
- Payment of $200 payable to Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office by cash, check, or money order. Credit cards are not accepted for payment of permit fees.
- Please review these requirements carefully. Failure to provide any of the required information will delay issuance permit.