Residential Construction Permits
You must obtain permits from the appropriate County agencies and Towns before beginning construction in Loudoun County.
Permits are typically required for the following residential projects:
- Finished basements
- Garages and sheds
- Mobile homes
- New homes
- Spas and hot tubs
- Renovations Additions
- Retaining walls
- Woodstoves, pellet stoves and fireplaces
The following permits are required for residential construction:
- Building Permit: Three sets of plans are required. Plans shall include a foundation plan, floor framing plan, roof framing plan, wall sections, floor plans, and elevations. Please note: If your property is served by a private well and septic system, four sets of plans are needed.
- Electrical Permit
- Gas Permit
- Mechanical Permit
- Occupancy Permit: New construction only
- Plumbing Permit
- Zoning Permit
You may need these additional permits for residential construction:
- Grading Permit: If disturbing 5,000 square feet or more; may be required for properties in the Mountainside Development Overlay District or properties that have steep slopes, as determined by the Office of Mapping and Geographic Information.
- Health Permit: If property is served by well or septic. Contact Health Department at (703) 777- 0234.
- Commercial jobs require plan review. Typically, residential jobs do not require plan review.
- Submit plans for review along with the application.
- Electrical, gas, mechanical and plumbing plan review: Submit one set of plans (may need to be stamped and sealed).
- Fire plan review: Submit three sets of stamped and sealed plans, along with calculations and cut sheets.
- Call us at 703-777-0220 with any questions; plan reviewers are available 8:30 a.m. until 4 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Building, electrical, fire suppression, gas, plumbing and mechanical work each requires separate applications and permits.
- These permits will not be issued from the application and architectural plans submitted for a Building Permit.
- Contractors must have a valid Virginia State Contractors License and Loudoun County Business License.
Mail Submissions To:
Department of Building and Development
P.O. Box 7000
Leesburg, VA 20177-7000