Evergreen Mills Road / Watson Road Safety Audit and Improvements
Evergreen Mills Road (Route 621) is a two-lane undivided roadway that provides east-west (non-tolled) access from Route 15 to Loudoun County Parkway. Watson Road (Route 860) is a two-lane undivided roadway that provides a north-south connection from U.S. Route 50 to Evergreen Mills Road.
These roads carry relatively high levels of traffic during peak hours, as it provides an alternate route to James Monroe Highway (Route 15), John Mosby Highway (Route 50), the Dulles Greenway (Route 267), and Loudoun County Parkway (Route 606).
Safety Audit and Improvements
A road safety audit was conducted in 2017 and 2018 to examine Evergreen Mills Road between Battlefield Parkway and Loudoun County Parkway and Watson Road between Evergreen Mills Road and Route 50 and made recommendations for improvements.
On July 19, 2018, the Board of Supervisors (Board) allocated $1.2 million to fund various short-term improvements and countermeasures at this intersection to address safety and visibility issues such as:
- Tree trimming
- Traffic signal modifications
- Flashing warning beacons
- Pole-mounted speed display signs
- Reflective markings on guardrails and wider edge line pavement markings
- Variable message signs to alert drivers to speed and congestion issues
The safety audit also identified mid-term projects, which would take approximately 1-5 years to implement. It also identified long-term projects, which would take approximately 5+ years to implement. On March 5, 2019, the Board forwarded the mid-term projects to a future fiscal year of the Capital Improvement Program Budget for further discussion, evaluation, and prioritization. Some of those projects are:
- A left-turn lane near the Evergreen SportsPlex
- Mumble strips at roadway departure locations north of Fleetwood Road/Creighton Road
- A study of possible traffic signals or roundabouts at Evergreen Mills Road’s intersections with Crimson Place/Red Cedar Drive and Shreve Mill Road
- Design of law enforcement areas corridorwide
The safety audit also identified the realignment of Watson Road with Reservoir Road as a safety improvement; a County project is currently underway to realign this intersection.
Current Status: July 2019
- The VDOT Woods Road Phase II project is underway. Phase II adds turn lanes at the intersection of the Woods Road and Evergreen Mills Road. Learn more about the Woods Road Phase II project.
- Milling and paving operations by VDOT are underway on Evergreen Mills Road between Battlefield Parkway and Hogeland Mill Road. For a more detailed description, see the VDOT 2019 Statewide Paving Status Map.
Stay Informed About This Project
- View all updates on the Evergreen Mills and Watson Road Safety Audit and Improvements.
- Sign up for updates on this project in Notify Me, Blogs category.
- Opens a New Window.Project Status Update - April 10, 2018 (PDF) Opens a New Window. Opens a New Window.
- Open House Presentation - July 31, 2018 (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Open House Meeting Boards - July 31, 2018 (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Opens a New Window. Instructions on how to relocate an existing mailbox (PDF) Opens a New Window. Opens a New Window.
- Questions on the project can be emailed to county staff or by calling 703-737-8299.
- Email Glen Barbour, Public Affairs and Communications Officer or call 703-771-5086.