Guidelines for Use of the Courthouse Grounds
Use of the Loudoun County Courthouse Grounds for public gatherings must follow rules below, which are meant to provide equal access, to protect sensitive areas, and to respect the nature of the courthouse and its grounds.
- Applications must be submitted and approved by the Office of the County Administrator prior to use of the grounds for gatherings.
- Applications are processed on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- If an activity is not in compliance with these rules, the county reserves the right to terminate the use.
- Applicants are responsible for restoring the site and grounds to their condition before use and for cleaning the premises after the use. Applicants must make appropriate provisions for trash removal.
- If staff time is used for restoration of the site and grounds to its original condition, the applicant will be billed for the staff time and the applicant will be denied usage until the bill is paid in full.
- No activity shall pose a risk to public safety.
- No activity shall impede court business or proceedings.
- Use of the courthouse (internal and external areas, such as the steps) and all other facilities falls under the authority of the courts and is limited to court-related events. For any further questions, please contact the courts at 703-771-5314.
- No fees will be charged to use the grounds.
- Firearms, candles, other incendiary devices, fireworks, alcoholic beverages and illegal drugs and the use of vehicles are prohibited.
- The use of poles, stakes, tents, digging or excavation is prohibited.
- The use of electricity through outlets on the court buildings is prohibited
- Nothing, including displays, banners, signs, lighting, equipment, etc., shall be affixed to poles, fences, signs, buildings, trees or any other structure.
- Gambling, raffles, games of chance and sporting activities (including football, frisbee, etc.) are prohibited.
- Benches or other equipment shall not be moved or removed.
- The brick walk-ways shall be used for pedestrian traffic only.
- The user must make every effort to protect the trees, grass or other vegetation.
- All gatherings must be in compliance with the general rules above.
- Use of the grounds for gatherings (without application) is limited to 20 or fewer people for short periods of time. Gatherings of more than 20 people require advance application.
- The application for a gathering should indicate the general area(s) to be used for the gathering. The county reserves the right to restrict the specific locations of gatherings.
- The Loudoun County Sheriff will determine the appropriate level of security, if any, needed for gatherings, depending on circumstances. Applicants may be required (at their own expense) to provide additional security if deemed necessary.
- Applicants should ensure that gatherings comply with the Town of Leesburg’s noise ordinance.
- No bathrooms are provided.
- The applicant is responsible for naming the County of Loudoun as additionally insured on any insurance policy.
- Rain dates for events will not be given.
Approval & Updates
Webpage updated October 2019
These rules were adopted by the Board of Supervisors April 20, 2010 and amended September 8, 2010; February 14, 2012; and November 4, 2015.
Please note that the Board of Supervisors dissolved the Courthouse Grounds and Facilities Committee on January 3, 2017.