Paratransit Bus Service
Loudoun County Transit oversees paratransit service for people with disabilities on the local fixed-routes from Leesburg and throughout eastern Loudoun. Virginia Regional Transit provides on-demand service to ADA-eligible riders in western Loudoun. View the paratransit bus service route map (PDF).
To find out if you are located in an area that is served by ADA/paratransit or if you have questions regarding paratransit service, please call 571-258-3464.
Users of the paratransit service must register and apply for the service ahead of time. To be approved to use Loudoun County's local paratransit bus service, you must apply for approval through the county's contractor, ADA Ride. The online process takes about 15 minutes to complete. The application is online:
- ADA Ride Application for Approval to Use Loudoun County Paratransit Bus Service
- You may also call ADA Ride at 877-232-7433 for help with registration
Opens a New Window. To Schedule a Ride
Once you are registered, you may schedule a ride with the paratransit service in western (rural) Loudoun by calling 540-338-1610. To schedule a ride in eastern Loudoun, call 571-258-3464.
- ADA Paratransit Policies and Procedures Opens a New Window.
- Loudoun County Transit holidays when buses and paratransit do not operate: Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year's Day.
Paratransit Service Details & Eligibility
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) guarantees people with disabilities the same access to public transportation as people without disabilities. All Loudoun County Transit buses are wheelchair accessible. Many residents with disabilities can ride the local fixed-route buses. People with disabilities who cannot use public transit because of their disability can use the ADA paratransit services.
The paratransit service is a curb-to-curb, shared ride service, which operates within three-fourths of a mile from fixed-route bus service stops. All rides must be scheduled ahead of time. Passengers usually ride with others who are traveling in the same general direction, and drivers often stop to pick up or drop off other passengers on route.
Paratransit eligibility is based on an individual's functional ability to use the fixed route system; it is not based on a medical diagnosis or meeting the broader ADA definition of "disability." Simply having a disability does not make you eligible for complementary paratransit under the ADA. The ADA paratransit service is for residents riders whose disabilities prevent them from using fixed route bus service. To be eligible, you must:
- Meet the disability guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Cannot access the service's fixed-route bus due to your disability
- Be approved to use Metro Access or file an application or approved by ADAride to use Loudoun County Transit through ADA Ride and be approved for paratransit service
If you have a short-term disability that prevents you from accessing local buses, you can get temporary approval for paratransit services.
Loudoun County Local Buses
Loudoun County local buses are wheelchair accessible. View the video to learn more about the Loudoun County local bus system.
- ADA Policies and Procedures Rider Guide (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Fare Payment Policy (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Ineligible Trip Request Policy (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- No Strand Policy (PDF)
- Origin to Destination Service (PDF)
- Response Time Policy (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Trip Cancellation (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Vehicle Wait Time and Customer No Show Policy (PDF) Opens a New Window.