Dulles Rail: Parking Facilities
As part of Loudoun County’s decision to opt-in to the Dulles Corridor Metrorail project, now known as the Silver Line, the county committed to build or cause to have constructed three garages to serve two metro station - one at the Route 606 Station (Loudoun Gateway) and two at the Route 772 Station (Ashburn).
Update: September 2016
- Ashburn North Commuter Parking Garage: The county has entered into a Privatized Concessionaire Agreement with Comstock Properties. Project design plans nearing 100% complete. Project is substantially on schedule.
- Ashburn South and Loudoun Gateway Commuter Garages: Developed by Loudoun County, using design-build contract. The RFQ (request for quote) was advertised September 1, 2016. A short list and RFP (request for proposal) is anticipated by the end of 2016. Contract award by the Board, scheduled for March 2017. Project completion estimated for June 2019.
Background / Prior Actions
Public Comment Period for Ashburn North Parking Garage
Written comments concerning the major business points of a Comprehensive Agreement between Loudoun County and Comstock for the Ashburn North Garage were accepted through December 4, 2015. View the Major business points of proposed Comprehensive Agreement - Ashburn North Garage (PDF).
Award of Interim Agreement for 772 North Parking Garage
On February 18, 2015, the Board of Supervisors awarded an Interim Agreement for the 772 North Parking Garage to CLS Parking, LC. The item prepared for the Board's business meeting is online:
Board Takes Next Step Toward Construction of Metro Parking Garages
On June 18, 2014, the Board of Supervisors instructed staff to enter into negotiations for a comprehensive agreement with Comstock Partners for the design, construction and operation of the parking garage at the Route 772 North Metro station in Loudoun. The Board also directed staff to enter into negotiations for a comprehensive agreement with Nexus Properties for the design, construction and operation of the parking garage at Route 772 South and the parking garage that will serve the Route 606 Metro station.
Board Proceeds with Parking Garage Proposals
On March 5, 2014, the Board of Supervisors authorized funding and directed staff to proceed with the consultant selection and preparation of the design-build performance criteria package for the Dulles Rail parking garages. The item prepared for the meeting and the summary of the Board's action (Copy Teste) are online:
Public Comment Sought on Parking Garage Proposals
The Loudoun County Board of Supervisors held a public hearing on Wednesday, February 12, 2014, on the proposals currently under consideration for the design, construction, financing, operation and maintenance of up to three parking garages in Loudoun County in conjunction with Phase 2 of the Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project. The item prepared for the public hearing is online:
The proposals came in response to the September 2013 request for proposal. View the Parking Garages Bid Posting.
Initial Proposals Rejected
At its business meeting on July 17, 2013, the Board voted to reject three initial proposals which were received through a Request for Information (RFI) process. The Board voted to solicit new proposals through the Request for Proposals (RFP) process. The item prepared for the July 17 meeting is online:
On November 16, 2012, the county issued a Solicitation for Conceptual Proposals through the Public-Private Transportation Act of 1995 for Loudoun County Parking Facilities (SCP). With the SCP, the county seeks parking facilities that are available on opening day of revenue operations for Phase 2 of the Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project, which currently is estimated to be sometime in 2018. Loudoun County received three conceptual proposals as a result of the SCP. County staff presented the proposals to the Board of Supervisors at a public hearing on May 8, 2013. The item prepared for the hearing and the staff presentation are online:
- May 8, 2013 Item Number 2: Loudoun County Parking Facilities Solicitation for Conceptual Proposals (PDF)
- May 8, 2013: Staff Presentation - Review of Parking Facilities PPTA SCP Responses (PDF)
The conceptual proposals being considered are online: (Please note that these are large files.)
- Comstock Partners (PDF): This proposal is to design, construct and operate approximately 4,938 parking spaces and related facilities to support both the Route 772 and the Route 606 Metro Stations. The Comstock proposal has been developed to offer the County the option to pursue all three garages or to select one or two of the garage project options.
- Trammell Crow Company and Route 606, LLC (PDF): This proposal is to design, construct and operate a parking garage with the capacity to accommodate 2,190 parking spaces, which includes 225 additional spaces. The concept proposal contemplates modifications to the garage design and location from the preliminary engineering plans and incorporates office and retail development on immediately adjacent property controlled by MWAA.
- West Dulles Properties Part 1 and Part 2 (PDF): This proposal is to design, construct and operate a parking garage to accommodate 1,965 parking spaces. The West Dulles proposed concept moves the garage location one land bay to the east from the preliminary engineering location and includes potentially redesigning the existing transportation street network around the station location. This proposal also allows for additional commercial development on the adjacent property controlled by MWAA.
Loudoun County has until July 1, 2014, to make a decision on the construction of the parking garages.
On November 15, 2011, the Board of Supervisors approved a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) outlining commitments pertaining to Phase 2 of the Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project between Loudoun County, the U.S Department of Transportation, the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Association, Fairfax County, the Commonwealth of Virginia, and the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority. Included in the MOA was a commitment from the county to use its best efforts to secure additional funding sources that will be sufficient to fund the cost of the design and construction of the parking facilities. In discussions leading up to the approval of the MOA, the Board’s support for securing additional funding for the parking facilities was based on the following:
- The county would make a reasonable and best effort to assemble a financial option for the three parking facilities as defined above, thereby taking the cost of those facilities out of the project, and
- The removal of the parking facilities from the project scope would be contingent upon either: (1) a private sector partner and/or the Commonwealth guaranteeing and backing the cost of the facilities; or, (2) an alternative financing option that would require no local tax funding support, as well as, [at that time], the realization of TIFIA financing.
As is there no additional tax increment financing (TIF) measures or Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA) funding for the garages, the county is expected to pursue concession payments or a share in parking facility revenues.
- March 26, 2013: Finance, Government Services and Operations Committee Item Number 6: Solicitation for Conceptual Proposals -Loudoun County Parking Facilities (PDF)
- September 18, 2012: Board of Supervisors Meeting Item Number 12: Recommendation to Proceed with Solicited PPTAS for Loudoun Parking Garages (PDF)
- 09-18-12: Copy Teste (PDF) (Describes Board’s Action)
- July 3, 2012 Board of Supervisors Meeting Item Number 1: Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project (PDF)
- July 3, 2013: Copy Teste (PDF) (Describes Board’s Action)
- November 15, 2011: Board of Supervisors Meeting Item Number 2: Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project Phase II Memorandum of Understanding (PDF) and Item Number 2: Metrorail MOA Supplemental Information
- November 15, 2011: Copy Teste (PDF) (Describes Board’s Action)