Eastern Loudoun Transportation Study
In 2012, the Loudoun County Board of Supervisors directed staff to undertake a study of the road network in Eastern Loudoun, which was defined as the area east of Route 659 and Route 659 relocated from the Potomac River on the north, Prince William County to the south and Fairfax County to the east. The purpose of the study was to provide information relating to the Countywide Transportation Plan (CTP) road network to include:
- Network deficiencies
- Missing links
- Cost estimates to build the interim condition
- Development proffers/conditions related to the missing links and network deficiencies
- The proffer/condition triggers
- Right of way availability
- Potential funding sources if the projects are not funded wholly or in part through proffers/conditions
On March 7, 2012, staff presented a report that reviewed recent and ongoing efforts to address network deficiencies and missing links in the CTP road network; provided an existing conditions inventory of the deficiencies and missing links (103 road segments); provided a cost estimate to build out the CTP road network to the interim condition; and offered a funding outlook of non-proffer funding sources.
The study area was divided into three phases:
- Phase 1 - the CTP road network north of Waxpool Road/Church Road
- Phase 2 - the CTP road network south of Ryan Road (PDF)
- Phase 3 - the CTP road network south of Waxpool Road/Church Road and north of Ryan Road (PDF)
- Phase 1 efforts have been completed. Staff's report to the Board of Supervisors on November 7, 2012 (PDF).
- Phase 2 efforts have been completed. Staff's report to the Board of Supervisors on April 3, 2013 (PDF).
- Phase 3 efforts have been completed. Staff's report to the Board of Supervisors on January 15, 2014 (PDF). View the report's attachments (PDF).
The Eastern Loudoun Transportation Study Map was updated (PDF) in June 2014, and most recently in October 2016, to identify road segments that have been completed, roads projects that are in progress, and roads that are funded in the Adopted FY 2017 to FY 2022 Capital Improvement Plan.
Interactive Map: Eastern Loudoun Transportation Study Status Map
An interactive map illustrating the status of the Eastern Loudoun Transportation Study includes links to a proffer analysis for each of the road segments in the Phase 1 study area. Each report includes the segment name, segment location, the category of improvement needed, the estimated cost, funding options, a location map and analysis of the applicable proffers/conditions tied to the specific road segment.
As the Board identifies priority road projects, staff will continue to review the cash proffer/condition funds to determine eligibility to use on the identified projects.