Background on the Dulles Rail Project
The Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA) is constructing a 23-mile extension of the existing Metrorail system, which will be operated by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) from East Falls Church to Washington Dulles International Airport west to Ashburn. The project is being built in two phases. Phase One will run from East Falls Church to Wiehle Avenue in Reston. Phase 2 will run from Wiehle Avenue to Ashburn in eastern Loudoun County. View the route map (PDF).
Loudoun County has been a longtime supporter of the extension of Metrorail to Dulles International Airport and Loudoun County. The county has been actively planning for the extension of Metrorail to the Dulles Corridor for more than 15 years. Metrorail expansion to Route 772 first appeared in Loudoun County’s General Plan more than 15 years ago and transit-related policies were first coordinated with the Countywide Transportation Plan in 1996.
The purpose of Dulles Metrorail is to provide high-quality, high-capacity transit service in the Dulles Corridor. The extension of Metrorail will increase the vitality of the Dulles Corridor, reduce travel time between the Dulles Corridor and downtown Washington D.C, offer a viable alternative to vehicular traffic, and support future transit-oriented development along the corridor. More background information on the project is available in presentations made to the Board of Supervisors in March 2011:
- MWAA Presentation to the Board of Supervisors (PDF)
- County Staff Dulles Rail Presentation to Board of Supervisors (PDF)
Past Progress Reports to the Board of Supervisors
- May 2, 2017: A Quarterly Metrorail Construction Status Report was presented to the Board of Supervisors. The item prepared for the May 2, 2017, business meeting is online:
- February 17, 2017: An information item on Loudoun County's financial obligations to Metro was presented to the Board of Supervisor's Transportation and Land Use Committee (TLUC) meeting February 17, 2017. The item, the staff presentation and the webcast of the meeting are online:
- February 14, 2017: The same item was presented to the Board of Supervisors' Finance, Government Operations and Economic Development Committee (FGOEDC). The webcast of the meeting is online:
- September 13, 2016: Loudoun county staff presented an update (PDF) regarding Loudoun’s Silver Line Metrorail obligations and funding to the Board of Supervisors' Finance / Government Operations and Economic Development Committee. View the item prepared for the meeting (PDF).
- Get the latest from the Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project.
- Online Tool: Metrorail Service District Parcel Lookup - Enter your address or parcel identification number to determine if your property is in the Dulles Metrorail Service District.
Board Holds Work Sessions & Public Outreach Sessions
The Loudoun County Board of Supervisors held a series of work sessions and public information sessions in 2012 on the Dulles Rail project prior to the Board's final decision on July 3, 2012, on whether to commit to the project. The schedule and the topics for each session are listed.
- March 7 - Dulles Rail Worksession
- April 17 - WMATA
- May 3 - Transportation/Transit/Roads
- May 15 - Lessor Economic Impact Study Update (included as part of Business Meeting agenda)
- May 16 - Finance Meeting Number 1: Kickoff, Parking Study, Tolls/Toll Study (MWAA), Initial Discussion of Local Taxing Options
- May 22 - Finance Meeting Number 2: Local Taxing Options Follow-Up and Further Discussion
- Public information sessions were held in May and June, followed by a Board Public Input Session on June 4. Details, including a link to the webcast of the input session, are online here.
- June 6 - Board of Supervisors Work Session, Board Room, 1 Harrison Street, SE, Leesburg: Financing
- June 18 - Board of Supervisors Work Session, Board Room, 1 Harrison Street, SE, Leesburg: Financing
- June 29 - Board of Supervisors Work Session, Board Room, 1 Harrison Street, SE, Leesburg: Financing
- July 3: The Board voted on July 3, 2012, to proceed with its funding participation in Phase Two of the Dulles Rail Corridor Metrorail Project. Documents for the meeting are online as is the Copy Teste:
- Copy Teste: Item Number 1: Dulles Rail Corridor Metrorail Project (PDF)
- Documents for July 3, 2012 Board Meeting (PDF)(Dulles Rail is Item Number 1)
Documents Available for Review
In addition to documents on the website, hard copies of documents related to the Dulles Rail project are available for public review, by appointment, in the Loudoun County Department of Transportation and Capital Infrastructure, located at:
101 Blue Seal Drive SE
Leesburg, VA 20175
Anyone who would like to schedule an appointment to view the documents should call 703-737-8624.