Biking / Walking
Loudoun County has a network of trails and shared-use paths that connect walkers and bikers to where they want to go. Some paths have easy access to buses with bicycle racks, and several Park and Ride lots provide bicycle lockers.
Bike Friendly Commuting
- To find out how to bring your bike on a Loudoun County Transit bus, visit Bike and Ride Information.
- Bicycle lockers are available at several Park and Ride lots. Visit Park and Ride Lots for details.
- Bike to Work Day is coordinated regionally by the Washington Area Bicyclist Association and Commuter Connections, and is held rain or shine. This annual event attracts thousands of cyclists in the region. To find out how you can participate in Loudoun County, visit Bike to Work Day.
Loudoun County residents and visitors are fortunate to have the Washington and Old Dominion Trail and smaller trail systems to enjoy. The following links provide more information about trail locations, amenities and access.
- View the Washington and Old Dominion Trail Amenities Map provided by Loudoun County.
- The Loudoun County Bicycle and Pedestrian Mobility Master Plan identifies a countywide network of recommended bikeways and walkways to connect citizens in Loudoun to parks, schools, jobs, shopping areas, and rural open space without relying on automobiles.
- Loudoun County’s Sidewalk and Trail Program addresses missing bicycle and pedestrian links within the County based on comparing the existing bicycle and trail network and the proposed network highlighted in the 2019 Countywide Transportation Plan (CTP).
- The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) has a current project to construct missing segments in the bicycle and pedestrian network within two miles of the future Loudoun Gateway (Route 606) and Ashburn Metrorail stations. Visit Loudoun County Metrorail Bicycle and Pedestrian Improvements for details.
For personalized trip planning or help with other transportation questions, please call 703-771-5665 or email us.