Filing an Unemployment Benefits Claim

Is the Loudoun Workforce Resource Center a Virginia Employment Commission Field Office?

The Loudoun Workforce Resource Center is not a Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) field office. 

News from the Virginia Employment Commission

Schedule an appointment with a Virginia Employment Commission office.

Questions and Answers about Unemployment Benefits

Q.  When should I file a claim for unemployment compensation benefits?
A.  You should file your claim on-line (**preferred method) through the Virginia Employment Commission website at after you have been out of work at least one full day.  If you do not have access to a computer, you can file your claim through the VEC Customer Contact Center by calling 866-832-2363 Monday through Friday 8:15 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Your claim will be effective Sunday of the week in which you submit your on-line application or file through the Customer Contact Center.
Q. My hours have been reduced. Can I apply for unemployment compensation benefits?
A. You can file due to a reduction in hours. If your gross earnings are less than your weekly benefit amount. Currently, the maximum weekly benefit amount in Virginia is $378.
Q. What happens after I complete my unemployment insurance application?
A. Once your claim is processed by the VEC, you will receive three important documents. The Benefit Rights document explains eligibility requirements and what you need to do each week to claim your benefits. The Monetary Determination document shows how much money you may be eligible to receive. You will also receive a PIN. You need the PIN to claim weekly benefits and to make inquiries about your claim.

Q. What are the work search requirements?

A. Beginning with the week of May 30 through June 5, 2021, individuals wishing to request a weekly claim for payment of unemployment benefits will be required to make an active search for work and report those contacts when filing their weekly-continued claim for benefits in order to receive payment.  In addition, they will be required to be able to work, available for work, actively seeking and unable to obtain suitable work and be willing to accept any offer of suitable work without attaching any undue restrictions not usual and customary for the type work they are seeking. View more information and work search video here.

Q.  How much in benefits do I get and for how long?
A. Currently the maximum weekly benefit amount is $378 and the minimum is $60.  Individuals must have earned at least $18,900.01 in two quarters during the base period to qualify for the maximum weekly benefit amount.  Benefit duration varies from 12 to 26 weeks, also depending on wages earned in the base period.
Q.  What if I’m working but my hours have been reduced?

A.  You may be eligible for partial benefits.  A partially unemployed person is one who, during a calendar week, was employed by a regular employer and had earnings that were less than his weekly benefit amount, and who worked less than his normal customary full-time hours because of a lack of work.

Q.  What if I’m working part-time?  Am I still required to actively seek work?
A. Yes. If you are working part-time and earn less than your weekly benefit amount, you are required to actively seek work and report your job contacts when filing your weekly request for payment of benefits. If you earn more than your weekly benefit amount, you are considered employed for unemployment insurance purposes and do not have to seek work with employers.

Q.  What if I return to full-time work?
A.  You must report your return to work when you file your weekly request for payment of benefits for the week in which you returned to work.  Report the date you returned to work and, if you have already started work, report your earnings before deductions.  Be sure to advise us of your earnings, even if your employer does not pay you right away, or you may receive benefits that you will have to repay.  You may be eligible for reduced benefits the first week you return to work depending on how much you earn.

Q.  How can I access my 1099G form in order to file my taxes?
A. If you already have an account, log on and navigate to the “Discovery” tab, and search for "Taxes and Finance." After you have enrolled in it, return to your Dashboard and access your to-do list in your "Events" section. At the bottom of the list should be a clickable option to access your 2020 1099-G form. The system will ask you for your PIN as a security measure, and then retrieve your form. You may print or download the document directly from Gov2Go once you've accessed it.

If you don’t have a Gov2Go account, you should still be able to access the form after creating an account and verifying your personal information. You can access Gov2Go via its website, or download its mobile app through your smartphone's app store by searching for "Gov2Go" - the correct app will list "NICUSA" or "NIC Inc." as its author.  If you have difficulty with the website email [email protected].

How Do I Contact the Virginia Employment Commission?

Additional Resources