Running for Office
Interested in Running for Office?
Candidates for office must meet certain qualifications. Candidates are required to file specific documents in order to qualify to appear on the ballot. More information from the Virginia State Board of Elections about becoming a candidate.
Qualifications and requirements vary slightly depending on whether the candidate is interested in a local office, a seat in the General Assembly, a statewide office, or a federal office. Generally, all candidates must meet the following general requirements:
- A candidate must be qualified to vote for and to hold the office being sought.
- A candidate must have been a resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia for at least one year immediately preceding the election.
Citizens who are interested in running for state or local offices in Virginia should start by downloading the appropriate Candidate Information Bulletin from the Virginia State Board of Elections website. This document contains:
- Information about qualifications for a particular office
- Filing requirements and deadlines
- Where to file the required forms and documents
- Other information specific to a particular office, including campaign finance reporting requirements and political advertising guidelines
Candidate information, forms, and reports may also be obtained by contacting:
Virginia State Board of Elections
1100 Bank Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Phone Number: 804-864-8901
Toll Free Phone Number in Virginia: 800-552-9745
Fax Number: 804-371-0194
Email State Board of Elections
Note: The local office of elections no longer provides these forms.
If you have any questions about the requirements for running for office, please contact the Loudoun County Office of Elections and Voter Registration at 703-777-0380 or by emailing Elections.