Required Permits

  • Before beginning residential or commercial construction in Loudoun County, you must obtain permits from the appropriate county agencies and, if applicable, the appropriate agencies of the incorporated towns. 
  • Most of the permits listed here are issued through the Loudoun County Department of Building and Development.
  • For more information about building permits, contact the Department of Building and Development at 703-777-0220 (V/TTY).

Permits for Residential Construction

  • Building Permit: Three sets of plans are required. Plans shall include a foundation plan, floor framing plan, roof framing plan, wall sections, floor plans, and elevations. Please note: If your property is served by a private well and septic system, four sets of plans are needed.
  • Electrical Permit
  • Gas Permit
  • Grading Permit (PDF): Any land disturbance 5,000 square feet or more in Loudoun County will require a grading permit. Any land disturbance in zoned sensitive areas in Loudoun County, such as Mountain Side Overlay District, Limestone Overlay District, or Steep Slopes, even if the disturbance is under 5,000 square feet, may require a grading permit.  
  • Health Permit: If property is served by well or septic
  • Mechanical Permit
  • Occupancy Permit: New construction only
  • Plumbing Permit
  • Zoning Permit

Permits for Commercial Construction


Building, electrical, fire suppression, gas, plumbing and mechanical work each requires separate applications and permits. These permits will not be issued from the application and architectural plans submitted for a Building Permit. Contractors must have a valid Virginia State Contractors License and Loudoun County Business License.

Related Documents