Required Deck Permits
- A building permit and zoning permit is required for all decks that are supported by footings regardless of the height above grade.
- The zoning permit application is integrated into the building permit application and is processed simultaneously.
- If your property is located in one of the incorporated towns within Loudoun County then contact that particular municipality for approval and to obtain a zoning permit.
- For decks constructed with stairway illumination, hot tubs, or spas, electrical permits may also be required.
Deck Permitting Process
- The permit process begins when the plat and deck drawings (if applicable) are complete and have been submitted, along with a building permit application, to:
Building and Development Front Counter
Loudoun County Government Center
1 Harrison Street, SE., 2nd Floor
Leesburg, Virginia 20175
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Permit applications which require plan review will be accepted over the front counter only if the application is complete, signed by the homeowner, and contains all other required information, including three sets of plans, and the house location plat with the deck sketched on it.
- Once the plans have been reviewed and zoning is approved, you will be notified that the permit is ready for pick-up.
- Permit applications which meet the requirements of the Loudoun County Typical Deck Detail (PDF) are eligible for the Walk-Through Program. Normally these applications can be reviewed and issued while you wait. There are certain instances when a staff member from the zoning division is not available to review the plat. In these cases, the permit must be left for review.
Who Should Apply for Permits?
- You may secure the building permit in your own name; however, if a contractor is to perform the work, Loudoun County suggests that the contractor be listed on the permit as the party responsible for the work. Then the county will be in a better position to assist you in gaining compliance with codes if the work is defective. A contractor must be properly licensed in order to obtain a permit.
- Regardless of who applies for the permit, the property owner must sign the Building / Zoning Permit application.
Requirements for Public Utilities
Call "Miss Utility" at 800-552-7001 before excavating to ensure that the construction does not interfere with underground utility lines. "Miss Utility" is a free service to anyone who is planning to excavate. Utility companies support "Miss Utility" to prevent damage to their buried lines. Call at least 48 hours prior to excavating. The various companies will mark the path of underground utilities on your property.
Deck Permit Fees
- Permit fees are based on deck square footage and whether or not a zoning permit is also required. Decks less than 1,000 square feet have a base fee of $100, while decks 1,000 square feet or above will be priced depending on exact square footage.
- A $165 fee is added to the base fee for all residential decks requiring a county zoning permit.
- Also, some plans which require plan review may incur a plan review charge.
- If other permits are required, separate fees will be charged based on actual equipment installed on the deck. Examples of equipment requiring additional permits include, but are not limited to, electrical outlets or fixtures, hot tubs, spas, etc.